Make the transition as painless as possible with this handy checklist of things to tick-off as you count down the days until you pack up and move in.
6 weeks before you move…
- Notify your utility companies of your departure date and, if you plan on transferring your utilities to your new address, tell them the date you want to be billed from.
- Contact your home insurance provider and make sure you have the correct level of cover at your new home. For example, if you’re downsizing, you’re likely to have fewer belongings, so you may want to think about reducing your cover.
- Book a professional removal company to help you with your move. If you plan to do it on your own, ask some friends or family to help on your moving date. And don’t forget to have plenty of boxes handy!
- If hiring a professional removal company, remember to check their contract and your home insurance to see who is liable for any belongings that might get damaged in transit. (Note: If you have a home insurance policy with Together Mutual Insurance, the good news is that your policy will cover the transfer of goods, provided you use a professional removal company. Check your policy document for details.)
- Order any new furniture, carpets and curtains so that they are delivered to your new address as soon as you move in.
- Start clearing out any old belongings that you no longer want or need by selling them online or donating them to charity.
2 weeks before you move…
- Start packing up any non-essential items such as furniture, books, lamps, ornaments, linen etc.
- Redirect your mail and update your address with your bank, credit card company, phone and broadband provider, TV licence, DVLA, gym, and any other company you might pay bills to.
- Finish up the food in your freezer and once it’s empty switch it off so it has plenty of time to defrost and you can clean it.
- Organise for your young children and pets to be looked after with trusted friends or relatives on your moving day.
A few days before your move…
- Cancel any regular deliveries to your home, such as milk, veg boxes and magazine subscriptions.
- Register to pay council tax at your new property from your moving in date.
- Update your details on the electoral roll – not only will this mean you can vote but it will also ensure you keep a good credit rating.
- Notify all relevant parties of your change of address, such as employers, schools, family members etc.
- Put together a moving-in survival kit of essential items – kettle, mugs, plates, cutlery, tea, coffee, toilet roll, towels, washing-up liquid, soap, bed linen, towels and any important documents.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Make sure you have their contact details, confirm their arrival time and give them directions to your new property.
- Arrange a time to pick up the keys for your new property from the estate agent or seller.
On moving day...
- Ensure you have the number of your removal company and a fully charged mobile phone.
- Take a final meter reading of your utilities.
- Before you leave your old property take one last look around to ensure you’ve got everything and have left it in a reasonable condition.
- Check all the windows and doors of your old property are secure and that you’ve switched off all electrics and gas (if you need to).
- Before the removal company depart your new property, unpack any large or fragile items to check for any damage.
Once you’ve moved in…
- Try not to panic at all the work you’ve still got to do with cleaning and unpacking. Congratulate yourself on having managed the move. Then savour the moment by sticking on the kettle and having a well-earned cuppa, or, better still, order a takeaway!